Another month, another vote. It’s really good having our readers & fellow travellers taking part in our monthly blogs.
Thanks for choosing Crete this month. Hubby and I visited Crete for our first year anniversary (2016). After having a wedding the previous year (costly, as we all know) and doing our honeymoon straight away (Mauritius and Dubai, so not so cheap either), we needed to count our pennies for our 1st year celebrations, so Crete was a great choice, and did not disappoint at all. If the world wasn’t so big, this, along with any other Greek islands, would be one I’d come to annually for a cheap getaway. But as our aim is to visit the world before we’re 40, there’s no time yet to visit the same locations! Maybe when we’re retired we can do the locations all over again!
So Crete. The popular locations to stay at are Heraklion and Agios Nikolaos, but given we wanted low key, cheap, peace and quiet, we stayed in Ammoudara. A bus ride away from Agios Nikolaos. The 5* hotel chosen was picturesque, affordable and relaxing. Back then, half board was worth it with breakfast and dinner and drinks included during dinner also. Now half board doesn’t include drinks so all-inclusive is your best way forward. But at that time, half board worked well as we like to explore during the day time and eat wherever the wind finds us on a particular day.
Things to do in Crete:
– Boat tour to Spinalonga Island (a fortress turned Leopards colony). I loved the history to this island; highly fascinating and definitely recommended.
– Day trip to Heraklion. See the museums and history
– Explore Agios Nikolaos by the coastal front (we took the Spinalonga boat tour from Agios Nikolaos also)
– Relax and enjoy the food. Fresh fish being by the sea. And hubby and I are big foodies so we were pleasantly content
– Take strolls. One evening coming back from Agios Nikolaos to Ammoudara, the bus was taking too long, so we decided to walk it back. Boy were we wrong, the walk was much longer than we imagined the bus ride to be! But we enjoyed the walk, our time together, and seeing the sites along the way
Crete is a relaxing getaway and 4 – 5 days is adequate. For those wanting more nightlife, Heraklion, Chania and Malia are great places. We struggled with experiencing the nightlife ourselves given Ammoudara was quite far out, but that was fine for us, as it served the right purpose for what we are after. But Crete definitely has something for everyone.
I personally am an absolute fan of Greece. We’ve tried a few locations and have never been disappointed with any Greek islands so far. So, if you’re looking for somewhere warm, fun (or relaxing) and affordable, put Greece on the list.
Watch the video here: https://youtu.be/4Qu8jckbF4s
Now, I must start packing! Hubby & I are off to Russia with the sister bear & a friend on Thursday! Watch my story to keep up to date @justAsktina_travels