Hope everyone is keeping safe & sane. We’ve made our travel page (@justAsktina_travels) a little more interactive to try and give you some travel fun during this time. Do tune in if you can.
And speaking of interactive, we’re now letting our viewers choose the monthly travel blogs (thanks for this!). So this month, as chosen by you, is Lisbon (Portugal).
This came about actually as a “fake – San Francisco” trip!. On my personal bucket list is to visit San Francisco, and my sister (fellow travel globe trotter), recommended Lisbon as it’s the European equivalent of San Fran, with its bridge and tram.
Well, this “fake San-Fran” did by no means disappoint! And I now apologise for having down graded such a lovely place. We travelled in February for some winter sun, and again, Lisbon did not disappoint. The sun was shining bright!
Below is a brief snapshot of our itinerary:
1. Take the hop on hop off which takes you to all the key points you need! Lisbon is a relatively small town so you can just take your time and truly wind down. The bus will take you to the following landmarks mentioned below
2. See Belém tower – a landmark medieval defensive tower
3. See the Jeronimos monastery – a world heritage listed gothic monastery
4. Chill and relax by Praca do comercio. Hear street performers. Get a bite to eat and drink. Browse the shops. And just “take life easy”
5. Grab a photo opportunity by Padrao dos Descobrimentos – a monument dedicated to maritime explorers
6. See the beautiful “San-Francisco like bridge”! Towering above it you’ll see a “Christ the redeemer” (in Brazil) like monument! Known as national sanctuary of Christ the king in Lisbon
7. Visit the historic great sardine shop – a must visit. Delve into the fantastic world of Portuguese sardines! And pick up some keepsakes. Remi & I got a sardine tin each with our date of birth on, giving key facts of what happened on our birth-dates. By chance, we also bought 2019, to signify the year we went to Lisbon. But now it turns out that Teniola (our newborn) also has his sardine tin birthdate too!
8. Take a stroll through Parque Eduardo VII (with some great views)
9. Check out the historic tram in Sao Nicolau
10. Follow the hop on hop off bus all the way to Cascais – a town just outside Lisbon. With beautiful marina and beach. And the scenery along the way is so worth it
11. Check out the train station, it’s quite lovely (even if you’re not hopping on a train to another town, such as Porto, which is so very easy to do)
Best thing of all, for UK travellers, it’s fairly cheap & local. So next time you want a quick getaway, do get Lisbon on your list of options.
Right, I’m off to think of more interactive travel content for our social media page!
Stay positive guys. Some form of new normality is surely around the corner
(For our visual travel travellers, visit our YouTube page: https://youtu.be/YO1QSgm_0W0 )